Posidonia Lab in Formentera
All those who decide to embark on this adventure aboard the schooner Cervantes Saavedra will participate, together with the crew, in different workshops focused on learning navigation manoeuvres, use of nautical charts, principles of sailing, nautical nomenclature, sailing knots workshop, astronomy workshop, shifts on board (deck, bridge and machine room) and participation in the docking and undocking manoeuvres in port.
Led by the prestigious Marine biologist and National Geographic Explorer Manu San Félix, participants will have the possibility to obtain the Official SSI Diving Certificate.
We will carry out biology workshops through which we will learn about the importance of Posidonia seagrass, and how it contributes to maintaining the quality of our waters by oxygenating the underwater ecosystem.
The project POSIDONIA LAB was born from the need to transmit and educate young students about the problems that surround us, how to face them and try to avoid mistakes that have been made in the past.
Conservative estimates by scientists say that 200 species have become extinct in the last 100 years. In the Mediterranean Sea, one of those species that has declined greatly over recent decades is Posidonia Oceánica.
The crew of the sailboat is made up of a group of expert sailors, who will ensure the safety of the students at sea.
Our participants will arrive at Valencia International Airport from where they will be transferred to the schooner Cervantes Saavedra which is located in the Valencia Marina (Spain), located to the east of the city, next to the beaches of La Malvarrosa and Las Arenas.
What the participants learn from this experience
- They will learn about navigation and safety techniques at sea
- They will learn to use the rigging of the boat and the usefulness of the different sailor knots
- They will learn to interpret nautical charts and navigate following the different constellations
- They will participate in Marine Biology workshops and become aware of the impact of human beings in the sea
- They will learn about the importance of teamwork
- They will develop coexistence and leadership skills
- They will develop the necessary skills to obtain the SCUBA diving qualification
- They will discover the importance of Posidonia oceanica in the Mediterranean